Friday, January 2, 2009

Unexpected holiday gifts

Most that know me, realize I love racing games and to that end, I frequent the Codemasters forums, and their side-blog MayContainGamers.

Obviously, a fan of their racing games (DiRT/GRID), MayContainGamers had a series of "BlogVents". BlogVents was their unique way of describing contests where people could compete and garner some pretty nice prizes. Everything from the "Dirty Dancing" CD, to Lord of The Rings Online items were offered.

Alas, BlogVent 15 is close to my heart. We were asked to come up with a Christmas card using nothing but MS Paint! My entry was chosen from the lot -- and I must admit, for a while there I was not sure I'd win. There's some pretty slick MS Painters out there. So, where does this all lead?

Here's the entry I submitted:


And, below is what I received... Yes, even the Quaker Oats oatmeal packet! LOL!





Unfortunately, since Codemasters is located in the UK, it took a while for the goodies to arrive. But then again, considering the distance, I would say the package arrived quite quickly. One surprise was the holiday card (lower right). That was completely unexpected! =o)

A few entries ago, I mentioned how companies (gaming companies especially) need to look beyond the "tried and true" business models they've been running with for years and become more fluid and dynamic - especially with the economy as it stands.

Yes, I'm a Codemasters fan. But, this extra touch in reaching out to their fans and customers through their community involvement is a smart thing. It encourages loyalty. Plus, we get to communicate with the company in an informal setting.

Will I buy the next Codemasters racing game? Of course. But given the opportunity to win a GRID cap as a collectible (not to mention the oatmeal!) has made me a Codies fan for life. Bar-none!

All other gaming companies -- Take notice!

Now for some fun.

One of the blog entries on MCG discussed their voicemail system. It's nice in that when someone leaves a voicemail, it can be received via email as a wav file. Satine, (aka "Squirrel" named by the victim of the post) published these nuggets of audio.

I took that to the next level, adding some music, as heard here (right-click to download) and thus the "Jigglybean Voicemail Rap" was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment