Monday, September 21, 2009

DiRT 2 / Colin McRae Tribute

Before I begin, there may be a game spoiler or two in this entry.  If you're playing the game you may wish to forego reading further.
_________________________

Alas, it's been a great run so far playing DiRT2!  So much thought to game design, details and the late Colin McRae is clearly evident.

As I continue up the DiRT Tour, the Colin McRae event became available.  Upon completing it, I unlocked the "For Colin" achievement - which I thought was a nice touch.

The screen quickly blackened and I could tell the usual game graphics and audio were on stand-still.  A picture of Mr. McRae appeared followed by a nice tribute video of him and his racing.  Truly a nice tribute showing the man that was synonymous with Rally racing.

I'll admit, before DiRT (the original), I had no idea who this man was.  The day the news spread of his death, I was saddened.  Years later, after DiRT2 is released, and after receiving said achievement and watching the video, a tear ran down my face.  This marks the first time ever that playing a game would cause such an emotional response.

Codemasters did Dirt2 right.  Not only in game design and execution, but, by tastefully heralding the man responsible for the franchise.

Much thought went into the game, and to have a gamer experience such emotion during gameplay, I believe the results expected were achieved.

Thanks Codemasters and Thank you, Colin!

No comments:

Post a Comment